Haaland told to snub Ballon d’Or ceremony if Messi Wins Again: Erling Haaland of Manchester City has been advised by former Chelsea player Craig Burley to never attend the Ballon d’Or ceremony again if he doesn’t win this year. EnoughInfo.com
The 30-man shortlist for the award, which will be announced in Paris on October 30, includes Haaland. The seven-time winner of the trophy, Lionel Messi of Inter Miami, is seen to be the favourite to win it again.
In contrast to Haaland, the 36-year-old had a quiet campaign, Earning him a nomination for the prize. Messi did lead Argentina to their first-ever World Cup victory, but he only managed ‘only’ 21 goals across all competitions for PSG. Johnny Kitagawa’s Niece Steps Down as head of Talent Agency
Haaland told to snub Ballon d’Or ceremony if Messi Wins Again
Since then, he has relocated to the US and played for David Beckham’s Inter Miami. Although others think his strong start should not put him ahead of Haaland. According to former Scotland and Chelsea footballer Craig Burley, the Norwegian should skip the ceremony forever if he loses against Messi.
He told ESPN: “If Erling Haaland doesn’t win this, close the shop. Lionel Messi won the World Cup and it’s a great achievement, but it’s a four-week period. His general league form was not the best. PSG were terrible.
“Erling Haaland? Over 50 goals, a Premier League title, the FA Cup, and the Champions League. Erling Haaland should win this award. I know that a lot of people out there can’t get off the Messi bandwagon but look at the bigger picture.